This 30-minute program from the Firefighters Support Foundation covers the topic in depth. It is presented by Dr. Anne Bisek, a psychologist practicing in Fremont, California. Dr. Bisek is the mental health professional on the San Mateo CISD team and provides debriefings for the California Highway Patrol. Most public safety professionals have been given very little information on this subject beyond possibly a brochure at one time. In this program, Dr. Bisek discusses questions she has found that first responders often have about seeking therapy, including these:
- How do we know when it’s time to see a professional?
- How do I find a therapist that is right for me?
- Does the therapist need to be a (or a former) public safety professional?
- Is it always PTSD that first responders suffer from?
- How can I end up making it worse for myself?
- Does therapy really work?