The Firefighters Support Foundation (FSF) offers a 20-minute firefighter training program presented by Dr. Anne Bisek, a psychologist practicing in Fremont, California. Dr. Bisek is the mental health professional on the San Mateo CISD team and provides debriefings for the California Highway Patrol. The program is absolutely free to download or view online.
In this program Dr. Bisek answers the following questions and others:
- How is the death of a child so different?
- What happens to first responders when a child dies on a call?
- Why do different responders react differently to the death of a child?
- How can a first responder identify with the victim, someone else on the scene or even the perpetrator?
- What are the unhealthy ways to respond to a child’s death?
- What are some productive things to do?
- Is there something wrong with not feeling affected?
- Can we prepare for such a call?
- How long do the effects last?
Download this program as a zip file HERE or at http://downloads.pennnet.com/fefsf/When_child_dies_on_call.mpg.zip. Or you can CLICK HERE to view the video in a player on the Fire Engineering Web site.