By Brian Stoothoff
An alert passerby noticed smoke from a residence on May 21 and told fire officials he banged on the front door to ensure no one was inside. Tony Allen then directed a neighbor to dial 911 while he turned on a garden hose to try to contain the flames.
Ocala (FL) Fire Rescue firefighters responded to the fire at 10:52 a.m. and arrived on scene within three minutes, according to Battalion Chief Mark McEarchern. The fire was contained to one room, although the home suffered significant heat and smoke damage.
The distraught homeowner later arrived on scene and was checked by paramedics. According to Captain Alan Peters, the fire investigator who was called to the scene, the fire was caused by a malfunctioning extension cord. Damage was estimated at $35,000 and occurred at 2720 Southwest 17 Circle.
In the photo, firefighters protect the homeowner's property from further damage and ensure the fire is extinguished.