A four-alarm fire at Country Club Crossing Apartments in Marion (VA) claimed the life of a 2-year-old baby girl and hospitalized her mother, reports WSLS 10.
Ken Heath with the Marion Volunteer Fire Department told News Channel 11 the toddler died at the scene. Her mother was taken to Smyth County Community Hospital and was flown to Johnson City Medical Center.
Fire crews say the fire tore through the roof of the apartment and quickly spread to surrounding buildings.
Fire officials say they had to turn water off to the surrounding area in order to focus water supply on the hydrants used to put out the fire.
Heath says it took some time to put the fire out. It was a "very difficult fire because of the nature of the fire. It extended into several apartments and it took most of the morning to get it under control."
Read more of the story here http://bit.ly/176geuJ