Chris Brennan of Fire Service Warrior deomstrates the Turkish Get Up, which is a great exercise for building midline control. It can be performed with a kettle bell to learn and master the movement, and you can then progress to the use of sandbags or other odd objects to increase the difficulty.
Download this week's featured exercise and suggested workout as a PDF HERE and share it with your crew.
For more information about firefighter fitness and similar issues, visit http://www.fireservicewarrior.com. Also, consider Michael Krueger's monthly fitness columns on Fire Life, such as "Rest and Rehabilitation."
CHRISTOPHER BRENNAN is a 14-year fire service veteran, a firefighter in the suburbs of Chicago, and the president of Spartan Concepts, Inc. He is a field instructor with the Illinois Fire Service Institute and has contributed articles to Fire Engineering. He maintains the Web site www.fireservicewarrior.com. He is the author of Readiness The Combat Position: Achieving Firefighter (Fire Engineering, 2011).
- Firefighter Fitness Bulletin: Glute-Ham Sit Up
- Firefighter Fitness Bulletin: Ring Rows
- Firefighter Fitness Bulletin: Split Jerk
- Firefighter Fitness Bulletin: Push Jerk
- Firefighter Fitness Bulletin: Snatch Push Press
- Firefighter Fitness Bulletin: Push Press
- Firefighter Fitness Bulletin: Snatch Balance