Firefighters rescued three residents trapped in a house fire early Monday in Topeka, Kansas.
The Capital-Journal reports (http://bit.ly/J6RIT3) that residents on the second floor of the house awoke to heavy smoke coming from the lower floors and found themselves trapped.
They called 911 and firefighters responded to the scene, where they found heavy smoke in the home's first floor. Three occupants--a 27-year-old woman, a 26-year-old man, and a 60-year-old man--were rescued from the second floor by fire crews, while another occupant managed to escaped before firefighters arrived.
Firefighters located the fire in the home's basement and quickly extinguished it. The house sustained light fire damage, and there was smoke damage throughout the building.
The fire was reported started by careless smoking.
Read more at http://bit.ly/J6RIT3.
For more on the dangers of smoking, consider USFA Releases Smoking -Related Fires in Residential Buildings Report, More Smoking -Related Fires Starting Outside Home, MA Officials Say, and Fatal MA Fire Caused by Smoking and Oxygen.