By Rita Reith, IPO
An alert neighbor notified the occupant that the shed behind his house was on fire, allowing him and two dogs to safely escape. His wife and children were not home due to yesterday's temporary power outage at the residence.
Although unsure of the exact cause of the fire, the occupant told firefighters that the shed contained six chickens and that he had been using an electric warming dish to heat water for them in the shed.
Firefighters navigated the apparatus-congested street and wintry conditions to battle the fire that spread from the shed to the house and communicated next door to a vacant residence. Although they got the fire under control relatively quickly, a fence between the two properties made access a little difficult to the area on fire. Six chickens died in the fire.
The rear of the house sustained significant damage. The occupant will stay with relatives.