New York Firefighters Rescue Blind Woman from Fire

Firefighters rescued a blind woman yesterday from a cooking-related house fire in Colonie, New York.

Midway Fire Chief Meaghan Sammons told the Times-Union (http://bit.ly/1qPpm14) that crews responded around 7:15 p.m. to a working structure fire and could hear the woman screaming for help when they arrived. The chief stated that firefighters found smoke and fire showing from the roof.

Two assistant fire chiefs, police and a paramedics managed to get the woman, who was not mobile, out through a door. She was reportedly home alone cooking a traditional St. Patrick's Day meal when the fire occurred.

The woman was conscious and breathing when she was transported to an area hospital.

Read more at http://bit.ly/1qPpm14.

For more on the dangers of cooking fires, consider USFA Releases Cooking Fires Report, NFPA Report Cooking Equipment Remains Top Cause of Home Structure Fires, Fire Protection Research Foundation Gets Grant to Investigate Safety Technologies for Home-Cooking Appliances, Seniors at Highest Risk for Cooking Fires Warns Guardian SSI, and Cooking Fire Damages Anaheim Apartment Complex.

Buyers Guide Featured Companies



More Buyer's Guide >

Fire Dynamics

Survival Zone

Extrication Zone

Tech Zone