Leadership

A Pittsburgh Engine House.

Issue 12 and Volume 1891 10.

A Pittsburgh Engine House. The handsome engine house shown in the accompanying cut was built last year for the old Eagle Engine Company No. 1 of Pittsburgh, Pa., upon the same site occupied by the original home of the company, built in 1794, and its successor, erected in 1845, which the present structure replaces. It stands at the foot of Fourth avenue, near Liberty street, and is one of the most commodious and most perfectly arranged fire stations in the city. The walls of the house are lined with pressed brick. Three large glass double doors form the entrance to the lower floor, and the upper portion of the front wall is supported by large fine stone arches above the doors. There are five windows on the second floor, and each one is trimmed with stone work. A large tower with mansard roof rests over the left front of the…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now