Leadership

Fire Bell Tower, Augusta, Ga.

Issue 14 and Volume 1891 10.

Fire Bell Tower, Augusta, Ga. The old bell tower in Augusta, Ga., of which we give an illustration, was, from 1860 until the creation of the paid fire department in 1888, used for the fire alarm bell, which was named ” Big Steve,” in honor of Stephen D. Heard, a prominent citizen and a member of the city council at the time the bell was put in position, and an earnest advocate of tion as a means of giving alarms of fire. On January 6, 1860, a petition from the chief engineer and other officers of the fire department was presented to council, asking for a fire alarm bell, to be erected in some convenient place; later at a meeting of council the engine committee recommended some point for a bell tower on or near Greene street, St. John’s Church lot being at that time near the centre of the…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now