Water Supply of London, England. In 1891 there was eight private corporations furnishing daily to a population of 5.578,745 about 212,000,000 gallons of water, or thirty-eight gallons per capita. Fifty-three per cent of this supply was from the river Thames, thirty-two per cent from the river Lea and fifteen per cent from springs and wells. About sixty-five per cent of the buildings are provided with local distribution by connections with the several systems. To December 31, 1891, the eight water companies had laid 4818 miles of water mains, which supplies 780,210 houses. One hundred and eighty-five steam pumping engines are employed, aggregating 23,130 horse-power. One hundred and six filters, with an aggregate surface of 108acres, used to filter the water of the Thames and Lea rivers. The total capacity of the subsiding reservoirs and for filtered water are 260,000,000. The total capacity of storage reservoirs, 1,560,000,000 gallons.