Issue 21 and Volume 1895 18.

NEW FIRE HOUSE, NEW YORK CITY. With this notice wo give a cut of the fine now firehouse at the northeastern corner of White and Elm streets, where engine company No. 13—a double company will be located. It will be ready about the new year. It stands on the site of the city’s old armory, just on the edge of the Collect pond, and immediately opposite the new Criminal Courts building. It is in the early French renaissance style, with the outer walls of Indiana sandstone. There are two stories in the main part of the main building, and a third floor in the high-pointed roof, which rises with a sharp pitch until its ornamental crest stands eighty feet above the sidewalk. At the corner 1B a small octagonal tower, which is surmounted by a sharply pitched cap of slate. The roof itself is also of slate and copper. The…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now