Leadership

THE INDIANAPOLIS FIRE DEPARTMENT.

Issue 1 and Volume 22.

THE INDIANAPOLIS FIRE DEPARTMENT. IT was not till March 31, 1860, that the paid fire department of Indianapolis had a steam fire engine—a Lee & Larned rotary—which was stationed in what is now No. 6 house on West Washington street. In the following August a third-class Latta engine from Cincinnati was purchased and located in what is now headquarters—then the Marion engine house—it was retired in 1876, to the great regret of the firemen. Two months afterwards a Seneca Falls, N. Y. engine was added to the number; and thus Indianapolis, though a small city, was one of the first places in the world to have modern fire fighting machinery. In 1867 a second Seneca Falls engine was purchased, and in 1869 the fire department consisted of three steam fire engines in actual service, five hose reels, one chief fire engineer, three engineers, one superintendent of telephone, one hook and…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now