Leadership

UPPER HUDSON NOTES.

Issue 23 and Volume 22.

UPPER HUDSON NOTES. [From a correspondent]. The village of Castleton was threatened with a conflagration early on Sunday morning owing, primarily, to the disabling of the engine which was on duty. A hole in the tube of the engine boiler caused the collapse. A bucket brigade was organized; but as it seemed as if a disastrous fire must result, word was sent to Albany and an engine was just about to be sent to the village, when the fire was brought under control. The fire started in a two-story frame building on Main street, and used as a market by William Rudd, as a shot shop by William Rogers, and as a dwelling by James Burns. A brick structure on the north and a frame building on the south also caught fire. The loss will be about $5,ogo.— The large iron pipe of the East Albany Water Works Company, used…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now