Leadership

FIRE DEPARTMENT OF STEUBENVILLE.

Issue 12 and Volume 23.

FIRE DEPARTMENT OF STEUBENVILLE. Like all American cities, Steubenville, Ohio, started out with a very rudimentary fire department—consisting simply of a bucket brigade. This primitive method of fighting fires continued up to the year 1822, when the citizens auth orized the select council to purchase a small hand fire engine in Philadelphia. This was housed in a one-story frame building on the west side of Third street. In course of time a second hand engine Was purchased and placed in another frame building on the east side of North Fourth street—the site of the present Floto block—between Market aad Washington streets. In 1333 C. C. Wolcot bought a rotary fire engine on wheels for the use of his factory—allowing it, however, to be employed at any fire in the city. In 1846 the authorities purchased two larger hand engines—the Reliance and Phoenix—which were manned by the volunteers who formed the…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now