Leadership

INCREASING THE WATER SUPPLY OF ROCKFORD.

Issue 18 and Volume 23.

INCREASING THE WATER SUPPLY OF ROCKFORD. . ON January 18, 1897, a contract was entered into between the city of Rockford, Ill., and D. W. Mead, for the purpose of increasing the water supply of the city. The contract provided that the work should be done according to the following general plan: A shaft about eighty feet in depth and twelve feet in internal diameter was to be constructed into the stratum of clay which lies below the sand and gravel deposits at the present pumping station. From the botiom of this shaft, tunnels were to be excavated to such of the city’s artesian wells as the contractor desired to utilize or to such new wells as he migntsink. At Or near the base of the shaft were to be erected thiee centrifugal pumps of a daily pumpage capacity of 3,000,000 gallons each. The twenty-inch suction of these pumps was…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now