Leadership

BAY CITY WATER WORKS.

Issue 25 and Volume 23.

BAY CITY WATER WORKS. THE water works of Bay City, Michigan, were built in 1872, and the city was first supplied with water in December of that year. The water was taken, from the Saginaw river until the summer of 1875, when the inlet pipe from Saginaw bay (an arm of lake Huron) about four miles distant from the pumping station in the city, was completed. The pipe through which the supply reaches the pumping station is thirty inches in diameter and 21,186 feet in length. It is laid at its outer end. with the centre seven feet below the surface of the water at its average stage and with a fall of one foot per mile towards the city. This pipe is made of pine staves three inches thick and from four to six inches wide, dressed and Jointed to form the circle of the pipe. It was put…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now