Leadership

A WATERWORKS RELIC.

Issue 11 and Volume 30.

A WATERWORKS RELIC. In 1811 John Lynch was granted the privilege of conveying water in wooden pipes through the streets of Lynchburg, Va., from his farm at the head of Horseford Branch. These springs still exist on the squares lying between Madison, Federal, Sixth, and Seventh streets. In 1813, a reservoir was built. This structure was twelve feet square, and ten feet deep. In 1817, however, John Lynch sold out his interest in the waterworks to James Wade, who furnished the water to the people until 1827, after which it was decided to build a reservoir on Clark street, to cost $50,000. This was finished in 1830, by Albert Stein, when there was a big military display. The pipes were made of white oak trees and lined with sheet iron. They measured nine inches in diameter. The bore was about three and one-quarter inches. A large section of this wooden…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now