Issue 20 and Volume 31.

FILTRATION AT KINGSTON. Improvement of the Works. (Specially Written for FIRE AND WATER.) For the first twelve years of its existence as a city Kingston had no water system, the sole source of supply for its inhabitants being wells for their drinking water and rainwater cisterns for domestic purposes. The streets went unsprinkled, except when the Tannery brook could be drawn upon for water for that purpose. The evil of living under such conditions was evident to all; but the citizens were unwilling to incur the expense of a municipal system of waterworks. A private company was, therefore, organised, on March 12, 1883, which received a legal charter as the Kingston Water company. Its capital stock was $300,000, and the board of trustees was composed of the following members: James G. Lindsley; William Hutton; Charles D. Bruyn; Joseph M. Low; M. F. Reading; Rufus King; and Charles E. Clark. The…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now