Leadership

CURIOUS CASE OF SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION.

Issue 12 and Volume 32.

CURIOUS CASE OF SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION. A recent incident which occurred in Macon, Ga., shows the great danger from spontaneous combustion and how it will sometimes develop under the most unexpected circumstances. The soot and other refuse which had accumulated from cleaning a tubular boiler, was thrown into a pile outside the boiler house. A few hours later it was found to be on fire, and had it not been discovered in time would have set fire to the building. Upon investigation it was found that there could not have been any fire near the soot but that there had been a slight rain followed by several hours of bright sunshine. The heat of the sun’s rays aided by some chemical action in the soot itself must have caused spontaneous combustion.

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now