Leadership

THE WESTVILLE FIRE COMPANY.

Issue 22 and Volume 34.

THE WESTVILLE FIRE COMPANY. The fire company of Westville, Conn., is volunteer It started in 1890 as the Dickerman hose company, and is now known as the Westville hose, hook and ladder company. Its membershio was originally sixteen, with the following officers: George Hinman, sr., foreman; Murdock Dingwall, assistant foreman (now chief); L. B. Cheney, secretary; Carlyle Mansfield, treasurer; Amos Dickerman, William S. Beecher. and Burton Dickerman were appointed to act as the first board of fire commissioners. A hose cart with 1,000 feet of hose was purchased and installed in the barn of Joseph D. Payne, on Fountain street, until the erection of the present building on Alden avenue, which was dedicated on November 10, 1890. The erection of the hose house was due largely to the generosity of W. S. Beecher and Amos Dickerman. The hose drying rack and the meeting room on the second floor were added…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now