Leadership

IMPROVEMENTS AT ELGIN

Issue 11 and Volume 38.

IMPROVEMENTS AT ELGIN Specially written for FIRE AND WATER ENGINEERING. The waterworks system owned by Elgin, Ill., a city with a population of close upon 25,000, was installed in 1887-88, since which time it has been extensively improved and added to. Up to a year or two ago its source of supply was the Fox river. It is now artesian wells, with direct pressure. There is also installed a filtration plant of the New York Continental Jewell type, which has been twice enlarged, and now has a daily supply of 2,500,000 gallons. The plant consists of ten American pressure filters, and the water obtained from them, 833,490,534 gallons, according to the last annual report—is of a kind to defy an outbreak of typhoid fever or any other water-borne disease. Of artesian wells completed there are four as follows: Well No. 1, thirty feet sixteen-inch hole, piped, and 121 feet, with…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now