Leadership

CORRESPONDENCE

Issue 17 and Volume 38.

CORRESPONDENCE HOTEL FIRE AT JACKSON, MISS. TO FIRE AND WATER ENGINEERING: On the night of October 2, 1905, the Norveile, the leading hotel of Jackson, Mississippi, was entirely destroyed by fire. The fire originated in the kitchen, supposed to be caused by a defective range. It seems to have been hidden between the floors and the walls, and, when one of the guests noticed a great amount of smoke, and inquired the cause, he was told that someone was burning powder to drive away the mosquitoes, and 110 further attention was paid to the matter until the entire building was filled with smoke. Exit by the stairways and elevator was obstructed by the dense smoke, and the guests were compelled to leave the building by the fire escapes. It was in this condition when the alarm was turned in, which was promptly responded to, and, although the great volume of…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now