Leadership

COLUMBUS WATER SUPPLY

Issue 19 and Volume 38.

COLUMBUS WATER SUPPLY The water supply of Columbus, Ohio, works for which were first installed in 1871, is derived from wells and underground conduits, supplemented in times of scarcity by direct intakes from the Scioto river and Alum creek, upon the banks of which the pumping stations are located. The eastern, or Alum creek station, derives its supply from driven wells and furnishes about 6,000,000 gallons per day. The west side station is located near the junction of the Olentangy and Scioto rivers, and has about two and one-half miles of underground conduits of brick or iron construction, forty-two inches in diameter, located from fifteen to thirty feet below the general surface of the river valley, or about ten feet below the bed of the river, beneath which it crosses in several directions. The water derived from the underground supply is healthful, but has been inadequate to the needs of…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now