Issue 13 and Volume 39.

THE OLD “MUTUAL” FIRE HOUSE. The condemnation and approaching tearingdown of the old “Mutual” fire engine station at the southwest corner of Centre and Chambers streets, Manhattan, New York, causes the metropolis to lose another of its old (if very ugly) landmarks. To build it cost the city $100,000. The Mutual hook and ladder company was first organised on Eebruary 15, 1786. It was then located in Beaver street, which has long since passed out of existence by that name. The first member was Anthony Abrams. Another member was Noah L. Earnhani, after whom a G. A. R. post is named. He was a member of the Mutual, when it was established in the quarters that are now to be torn down. Later be died of wounds received at the battle of Bull Run. Other members were George II. Purser, a prominent politician, who at one time ran for mayor…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now