Leadership

THE REMODELED FRAUNCE’S TAVERN.

Issue 25 and Volume 40.

THE REMODELED FRAUNCE’S TAVERN. When the old Fraunce’s Tavern at Broad and Pearl streets, Manhattan, New York, has been restored at the expense of the New York Society of the Sons of the Revolution, it will be more or less a fac-simile of what it was in the days when Washington bade farewell to his officers in the long room facing Broad street at the close of the Revolution. It was built more than 200 years ago—about 1700—on land conveyed by Colonel Stephanus Van Cortlandt, one of the original Dutch Knickerbockers, to his son, Etienne De Lancey. The house, the bricks for which were brought from Holland, was used as a residence by Joseph Robinson, and, later, De Lacey, Robinson. & Co. utilised it as a storehouse. Col. Robinson again used it as a residence, and on January 15. 1769. disposed of it for sale to Sam Fraunce, who opened…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now