Leadership

WATER SYSTEM OF ST. PAUL, MINN.

Issue 13 and Volume 41.

WATER SYSTEM OF ST. PAUL, MINN. Specially Written for FIRE AND WATER ENGINEERING. The city of St. Paul was first supplied with water in 1870. The plant was bought by the city from the company for $510,000 in 1882, important extensions being made in 1888. A chain of lakes formed the source of supply, among these being lakes Phalen, Vadnais and Pleasant. For the high service pumping was required; for the low, the system was gravity. The nineteen lakes are connected by natural and artificial channels, and nine of them at least arc available for the use of the city. Their combined area is 2,436 acres and from 1 to 4 ft. of water can be drawn from them. The first supply was gravity only from Phalen’s lake, into which two pipes extended too ft. into 15 ft. of water. A 24 in. stoneware pipe and a 16-in. cement carried…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now