Leadership

THE FIRE DEPARTMENT OF ALLIANCE

Issue 18 and Volume 46.

THE FIRE DEPARTMENT OF ALLIANCE The fire chiefs of the State of Ohio, assembled in convention in the city of Alliance last month, were warm in their praise of the fire department of that city and its outfit and as a readers of this journal. Prior to 1893 Alliance was dependent for fire protection on the service of volunteers. In the year in question the department was established on the contract system under William S. Aungst as chief, with two regular and three call men. At this time the equipment consisted of a combination hose and patrol wagon, with two horses and a call system, including thirty-five street and eight private boxes. In 1895 a chief’s wagon and another wagon were purchased, another paid man was added and the three call men were dispensed with. The progress made from 1895 to 1898 was slow and, although the quarters were remodeled…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now