Leadership

FIRE PROTECTION AT LANSING

Issue 21 and Volume 47.

FIRE PROTECTION AT LANSING The city of Lansing, Ingham county, Michigan, located on Grand river, which furnishes power for many of the important industries in which a large proportion of its population—16,485, according to the census of 1900—is engaged, has one of the best equipped and most efficient fire departments of any city of its size in the country. The territory the department is called upon to protect is 8 3/4 square miles, about 500 acres of which is fairly covered with 2 and 3-story brick and stone buildings_____, used for mercantile and industrial purposes, the buildings in the residence section being 2 and 3 stories high, of brick, stone and wood; wooden roofs not being permitted. The personnel of the department, besides the chief, Hugo R. Delfs, and his assistant, George B. Andrews, consists of 25 firemen, including three who are trained chauffeurs and operate the automobile apparatus and…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now