Leadership

FACTS ABOUT THE DETROIT WATER WORKS

Issue 23 and Volume 52.

FACTS ABOUT THE DETROIT WATER WORKS The first water works in Detroit was built in 1824. A franchise was granted for the construction of a wharf in the river at the foot of Randolph street. In compensation for that franchise, it was provided that a pump should be forever maintained on that wharf to which the inhabitants could go with their barrels and get a plentiful supply of free water. The news of this franchise traveled fast, just as the news of a franchise travels fast to-day. A Mr. Farran and a Mr. Wells, of Aurelius, Cuyahoga county, N. Y., heard of the needs ot Detroit. Mr. Farran came on foot by way of the south shore of Lake Erie to Detroit. A meeting of the freemen was held, a franchise was secured, and he returned to New York with his partner, and later they and their families came to…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now