Leadership

Block Destroyed at Wabeno

Issue 11 and Volume 56.

Block Destroyed at Wabeno Wabeno, Wis., suffered its most disastrous fire on a Saturday morning, early in July, when eight buildings in the heart of the business section were completely wiped out. The fire started on the second floor of the Grand Central Hotel, and the entire block was destroyed. About 1.30 a. m. a boarder at the hotel rushed down stairs stating that his room was afire. George Sargent, a man with one leg, heard the call and went up stairs, and did noble work in getting the guests out. He managed to get from room to room. Some of the doors he had to break open to wake the guests. The loss is estimated at $50,000. The town has no fire apparatus.

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now