Leadership

First Piece of Motor Fire Equipment

Issue 17 and Volume 56.

First Piece of Motor Fire Equipment The first piece of motor fire department equipment owned by a city or town in this country was a chiefs car at Newton, Mass., which was ordered in March and received June 11, 1903, placed in service at 12.10 noon, and had its first run in response to an alarm at 3.23 p. m. the same day. The car, with Chief W. B. Randlett at the handle, which is presented in the accompanying illustration, is a Stanley and made at Newton, and was used by the chief for several years, until it was worn out. Other chiefs had used motor cars before Randlett, but none of them were owned by the department and were used only a short time.

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now