Leadership

Residences Burned at Raymond

Issue 17 and Volume 56.

Residences Burned at Raymond The little village of Raymond, Me., received a severe blow at 5 a. m. Sunday, August 11, from a fire which destroyed the store of Jordan & Eager, four handsome residences with the stables and outbuildings attached. When discovered the fire was in the loft of a stable and burning on top of the hay, and an alarm was quickly given by method of the ringing of the church bell. People turned out and made every effort to stay the progress of the flames. Bucket brigades were formed passing pails of water from the wells about the neighborhood. The fire spread rapidly in both directions. Chief Butler of Portland was telephoned for aid and with a detail of firemen and fourteen poney extinguishers in an automobile made the run of 20 miles in 38 minutes and stopped the progress of the fire. The remainder of the…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now