Leadership

Defective Flue Causes Department Store Fire at Waterloo

Issue 21 and Volume 57.

Defective Flue Causes Department Store Fire at Waterloo The Kimmel department store at Waterloo, Ia., suffered a loss of $31,000 on contents and $2,600 on the building, when a fire caused by a defective flue started in the basement on April 23, at 4.30 p. m., while the store was crowded with shoppers. The value of the building and contents was almost $100,000. Two minutes after the alarm was telephoned in by a clerk the firemen, under Chief A. A. Dunham, were on the scene, but the flames had spread so rapidly that by this time the whole first floor was involved. The firemen soon had eight powerful hydrant streams at work and managed to stop the blaze from going above the first floor. Escaping gas from broken gas pipes overcame several of the firemen. It was four hours before the blaze had been completely extinguished. The building is of…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now