Leadership

Buildings at Coats Burn

Issue 7 and Volume 58.

Buildings at Coats Burn Fire caused by a defective flue practically destroyed seven buildings in the heart of the town of Coats, Kans., recently. The buildings included a hardware store, lodge building, harness shop, meat market, jewelry store, insurance office and barber shop. The fire was discovered at 12.05 a. m. by a resident of the town who aroused the neighborhood. The town has no water system so that only the chemical stream from the one 70-gallon double chemical tank of the fire department was available. This was in charge of F. L. Coe, the only fireman present. An estimated loss of $22,000 was sustained on the realty involved, which was valued at $40,000. The contents of the buildings, valued at $18,000, were a total loss.

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now