Leadership

Department Store Damaged by Fire at Wilmington

Issue 10 and Volume 60.

Department Store Damaged by Fire at Wilmington The J. W. H. Fuchs Department Store, of Wilmington, N. C., was recently damaged by fire which broke out shortly after midnight, and which is supposed to have been caused by defective wiring. The department found dense smoke coming from every window and door of the building. The department was somewhat hindered in its work by this smoke. Despite this, however. Chief Charles Schnibben and his men did excellent work, confining the flames to the one building and holding the loss on the building down to $3,000 and the loss on the contents to $33,000. The contents were valued at $50,000. The damaged building was two stories high and was built of brick 10 years ago. There was 1,500 feet of cotton rubber-lined hose in service, equipped with 1and 1 1/4-inch nozzles. Ten 6-inch double hydrants, located 150 feet apart, were available for…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now