Leadership

GOOD CONDITION OF THE BATTLE CREEK FIRE DEPARTMENT

Issue 1 and Volume 63.

GOOD CONDITION OF THE BATTLE CREEK FIRE DEPARTMENT Commission government became effective in Battle Creek, Mich., in April, 1913. The commission consists of five members, two or three being elected each year for twoyear terms. The population is estimated to be 30,160; the United States Census of 1910 showed 25,267. The city is a manufacturing center, the more important products being threshing machines, engines, steam pumps, printing presses and cereal foods. Two railroads and one interurban line afford shipping facilities. There are numerous railroad grade crossings within the city; a number of them adjoin the principal mercantile district, and have caused delay in the response of fire apparatus. The area of the city is 6.04 square miles, of which about two-thirds is built upon. The city is located at the confluence of the Kalamazoo River and Battle creek; the surface is undulating, with generally slight slopes toward the rivers and…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now