Leadership

Racine’s Water Plant

Issue 26 and Volume 65.

Racine’s Water Plant The water system recently purchased by the city of Racine, Wis., from private ownership, was established in 1886. It is a standpipe and direct pressure system. An abundant supply of water is obtained from Lake Michigan through a cast-iron intake pipe, 24 inches in diameter, extending 7,240 feet into the lake, and laid ten feet below the bottom. The end of the pipe is turned up, and is protected by a substantial crib in 40 feet of water. The pumping station, which is a well built brick structure, is located on the shore of the lake, directly north of the mouth of Root River. It is furnished with a triple expansion pumping engine of a daily capacity of 4,000,000 gallons, built and erected by E. P. Allis & Co., Milwaukee; a Prescott triple expansion pump of 5,000,000; a Worthington triple expansion pump of 3,000,000, and a Blake…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now