Leadership

Spontaneous Combustion Destroys Garage

Issue 23 and Volume 66.

Spontaneous Combustion Destroys Garage A fire that started from combustion in a coal bin in the Island Garage, opposite the main business district of Potsdam, N. Y., for a time was thought to threaten the entire section of the village. The alarm was given at 8:15 a. m., but when the department arrived, under command of Chief Fred C. Benson, the whole first floor was involved as well as the basement where the fire started. The building was of brick and wood. A good deal of gasoline was stored in the garage and when it took fire, the flames shot across the river toward the town. The Episcopal church and other buildings on the mainland several times caught fire but the watchfulness and hard work of the department, assisted by citizens, prevented their being injured to any great extent and the fire was practically confined to the island. The 25…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now