Leadership

The Filtration and Softening Plant at Flint

Issue 3 and Volume 67.

The Filtration and Softening Plant at Flint Designed to Keep Up With City’s Growth—Original Capacity 8,000,000 Gallons Being Increased Gradually to Limit of 36,000,000 Gallons Without Interrupting Operation—Unusual Features of Construction THE original filter plant built for the city of Flint, Mich., was installed in 1912 by the Pittsburgh Filter Manufacturing Co., after plans developed by Mr. W. G. Clark of Toledo, Ohio. This plant had a normal capacity of 8,000,000 gallons per day. The plans followed the general practice in use at that time—the chemical agents being dissolved and mixed in large tanks and added to the water through orifice boxes, in the usual way. It was thought at the time the plant was constructed that it would provide for the requirements of Flint for the next two years, but the rapid growth of the city necessitated additional provision within a period of four years, and in 1916 the…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now