Leadership

Water Supply of Knoxville, Tenn.

Issue 4 and Volume 70.

Water Supply of Knoxville, Tenn. The city of Knoxville, Tenn., whose population, according to the 1920 Census, was 77,818, has had the commission form of government since 1912, a board of commissioners having complete administrative and legislative powers. The water works are municipally owned, but were originally constructed under private ownership in 1883, being enlarged and consolidated with independent systems in adjacent territory and were finally purchased by the city in September, 1909. Commissioner of Parks and Public Property Neal Adams is in general control of the system, the office of superintendent having been abolished in January, 1916. The water works engineer is R. C. Wright, a technical graduate, who has charge of the plans and records and general supervision of construction work. The chief clerk is A. S. Birdsong. There are about 65 regular employes, including 18 at the pumping stations and filter plant and 11 in the office…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now