Leadership

Phosphorus Starts Fire in Laboratory

Issue 11 and Volume 82.

Phosphorus Starts Fire in Laboratory A small blaze which was most difficult to reach because of poisonous fumes was discovered in the laboratory of Quincy College, conducted in Quincy, Ill., by Franciscan fathers. The fire was discovered by a student who observed a reflection in the laboratory. He notified the rector, who, upon investiation found the room filled with poisonous fumes. The Reverend closed the door to prevent the fumes from filling the corridor and notified the fire department. The first company that responded did not have gas masks, but other units did. The blaze was extinguished before much damage was done. The college president told Chief Marriott that the fumes resulting from the burning of phosphorus was not dangerous unless inhaled in considerable quantities.

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now