Issue 19 and Volume 83.

FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION RECORDS DESTROYED BY FIRE Twenty Hurt Fighting Washington, D. C., Blaze in Temporary War Period Building —All Fire Apparatus in District Called EVERY piece of available fire apparatus in Washington, D. C., and in suburbs as far distant as Anacostia. Md.. were called to fight a fire that stated in a temporary building constructed during the last war period and now used to house the records of the Federal Trade Commission. The lack of loss of lives, it is said, is due to the fire starting shortly after the seven hundred employees working in the building had left for their weekly half-day holiday. The building destroyed was two stories high and covered an area of three by five hundred feet. It was constructed of plaster board and stucco. It is believed that the fire was started by a broken electrical connection. A strong wind was blowing at…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now