Leadership

Man Burned Sending Fire Alarm

Issue 25 and Volume 84.

Man Burned Sending Fire Alarm When a resident of Rockaway Beach, New York ran to a fire alarm box at Rockaway Beach Boulevard and Beach 84th Street, on Sunday evening, November 22, to send in an alarm for a fire in a nearby dry goods and furniture store, he was severely scorched about the face, neck and right hand and his overcoat was singed, as he pulled the hook of the alarm box. He was rushed off to Rockaway Beach Hospital. The Police and Fire Departments investigated the peculiar mishap. A cable man from the fire alarm telegraph plant came and found that illuminating gas escaping from a nearby gas main had seeped up through the base of the alarm box post and it is believed that when the man opened the door of the box and snapped the hook, either friction, or the electrical contact made when the box…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now