Leadership

The WATCH DESK

Issue 8 and Volume 91.

The WATCH DESK Our inquiring reporter overhauls the firemanic news of the day. “Flminq Water” Kills Two John Jackson, a tailor, and John Hecker, carpenter, both 42, Elmont (L. I., N. Y.) both died as result of burns received in Jackson’s home when Jackson threw kerosene on a coal stove, mistaking it for water, after a kerosene lamp he had placed on the stove exploded. Hecker, who was visiting Jackson ran to neighbors with his clothes afire. Jackson couldn’t explain why lamp had been placed on coal range, but admitted he mistook glass jug full of kerosene for water. Firemen extinguished flames with minor damage. Firemen’s Hose Drowns Child One of the saddest cases we’ve received is that from Salem (O.) which tells how firemen, who drenched a house to extinguish a fire, unknowingly drowned two-year-old Elizabeth Woods in the basement. Child was caught in the cellar as fire broke…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now