Fire Causes $200,000 Loss

Issue 11 and Volume 92.

Fire Causes $200,000 Loss The historic little town of Manteo. North Carolina, was the scene of a $200,000 fire which swept away about twentyone stores in the town’s business district. According to reports, the blaze started from a short circuit in the wharf office of the Standard Oil Company. Fed by oil and gasoline soaked timbers, the fire rapidly spread to other buildings in the neighborhood. The blaze menaced the entire community before it could be brought under control, with aid from Norfolk, Va., and Elizabeth City, N. C. An American-La France of the new 500 series made the run of 108 miles from Norfolk to Manteo in response to the call for assistance. In the total time of two hours and sixteen minutes, they made the run, had water on the fire, and had put through a long distance call to Norfolk. This fire was the only one of…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now