Leadership

When a Fire Is News

Issue 4 and Volume 93.

When a Fire Is News “When man bites dog, that’s news.” Firemen speed out of fire stations to fires which, in the majority of cases, makes “run of the mill” news. But when firemen are forced to fight a fire in their own fire station—that’s a real story. It all happened at Seymour, Conn., on March 22, when the fire house radio caught fire from a short circuit and caused damage estimated by Fire Chief James W. Swan at $5,000. The interior of the parlor and meeting room of the Citizens’ Volunteer Engine Company No. 1 suffered most when flames from the burning radio spread to window drapes ruining floors, window casings, plaster and furniture. A passerby saw the smoke pouring from a window and sent in an alarm. Luckily for the Citizens’ Company, the building and its contents was fully covered by insurance. THOMAS F. MAGNER.

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now