Leadership

Blaze Started by Cigarette

Issue 12 and Volume 94.

Blaze Started by Cigarette Fire believed to have started by a smoker’s discarded cigarette caused considerable damage to the roof, attic and second floor of the Bridgeport TimesStar at Bridgeport, Conn., on November 25, only a few hours after that newspaper had announced on the front page of its edition that publication would be discontinued. The Times-Star began publication 151 years ago as the Republican-Farmer and was one of the oldest newspapers in the United States. Radio Patrolmen Frank Keogh and Walter J. Bannon, who were passing in a patrol car discovered the fire and notified a fireman, on his way to duty, to sound an alarm from Box 126, Lafayette and Gilbert Streets, at 5:29 P.M. When firemen arrived they found billows of smoke pouring from the attic cupola windows of the three-story brick structure, originally tbe fashionable Seaside Club. Unaware of the fire, several employes of the newspaper…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now