Leadership

“New Look” in the Columbus Fire Department

Issue 10 and Volume 101.

“New Look” in the Columbus Fire Department As of September 1, 1948, Chief Walter G. Strickfaden of the Columbus, Ohio, Fire Department, ordered the entire fire fighting personnel into a new uniform and top coat. This is the first major change in the fireman’s uniform since the days of the horse-drawn equipment and it was greeted with enthusiasm by the entire department. The old uniform was of heavy 18ounce all-wool cloth, which is too heavy for modern day usage. The fireman’s coat was single breasted, while the officers wore a double breasted coat, and this entailed additional expense upon promotion. The new uniform is an all-wool 16ounce blue serge double-breasted coat, alike for all members, and is of modern design patterned along the same lines as a regular dress coat. The fireman’s coat is trimmed with silver buttons while the officers wear brass. The top coat is of the same…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now