Leadership

Wichita Goes Forward

Issue 4 and Volume 103.

Wichita Goes Forward The Wichita Fire Department, Chief Elgin Wood, records a 40% reduction in fire losses for the year 1949 as compared with 1948 figures, and all this accomplished during a record building boom. More than this, the Department lists numerous improvements to bring it into line with the city’s expansion. During 1949, fire Station No. 10, at Seventeenth and Grove, was put in service. In construction is the $62,222 Station No. 4 at Martinson and Douglas, to he equipped with a service ladder truck and 750 GPM pumper. Ibis will provide better protection to West Wichita. The new Station replaces old No. 4 on South Seneca. No. 10. erected at a cost of $37,856 and manned by eight men, will he equipped with a new 750 GPM triple combination pumper, affording better protection to northeastern areas. The modern onestory station was dedicated in memory of the late Fire…

Subscribe to unlock this content

Subscribe Now